We Have A Winner! And Some Housekeeping.

Thank you to everyone who entered the Gibson Girl Caption Contest!! You guys totally crack me up. After a lot of thought and giggles, I have finally decided on a winner and runner-up. And so like the Miss America contest, I’m going to announce the runner-up first. Drumroll please…

Five Dollar Footlong

Submitted by mmax13/Margaret! This truly made me laugh out loud, until the song got stuck in my head and I had to stick a pencil in my ear to get it to stop.

And the winner is…

After both her career and her stature were cut short in a tragic workplace accident, former magician’s assistant Margaret “Leggy Peggy” McGee went on to find success as a model for Charles Gibson

Submitted by JC! It’s long for a caption, but I completely cracked up.

Thank you everyone for entering. Margaret and JC, shoot me an email to claim your prize! MyYearWithTheMouse@gmail.com.

Second, in pursuit of more noble ends, I will be attending my third residency at Vermont College from the 10th through the 21st. But don’t let that fool you! Through the power of time, space, binary numbers, the interwebz, and Tinkerbell, MYWTM content you know and love will still be magically appearing on your screen just like it does when I’m home! It does, however, mean that I probably won’t be able to respond to comments, even though I love reading them. MYWTMouseketeer and husband Kevin will be taking over administration duties including updating Facebook. As always the best way to know when new content is posted is by subscribing or through Facebook.

AND, we’ve got a very special surprise in store for you! Kevin will be making a guest post, and yes, he’s just as funny as I am. Often funnier.

And and, MYWTM has some really awesome stuff planned in the coming months. In September, we’ll be floating with the Mouse on a Disney Cruise! Yes, there will be a full report. Who knew I was going to be this thorough?

We’re a little over halfway through the year in my little project here, and you might be concerned about if I’ve got enough things left to do or if I’m going to be reduced to just talking to myself. Despite the fact that blogging is totally just talking to yourself, I made out a list and off the top of my head, thought of over 60 things I haven’t blogged about (not counting the blog posts in the summer blockout pipeline). Honestly, I’m a little nervous that the year is going to run out before I run out of things to do. But as always, I shall try my best.

My readers deserve nothing less!

And finally, we went to see Cars 2 tonight. I really liked it. I didn’t think it was as good as the first, but it was just a different type of movie. What I’m really looking forward to is Carsland, pronounced Cars Land, over at Disney’s California Adventure. They’ve been working on a whole new giant area of the park, completely new, themed for Cars. It looks like it’s going to be amazing. Unfortunately, it doesn’t open until next June, so I won’t get to see it unless I buy a regular admission ticket :(. But anyway, I took a picture of the fence and you can make out the top of Radiator Springs in the background.

This is gonna be awesome!

9 responses to “We Have A Winner! And Some Housekeeping.

1. Charlie Raasch July 8, 2011 at 7:38 am

What did you have Karl Kassel put on your home answering machine?

• Shelby July 8, 2011 at 11:42 am

It says “Hello, this is Carl Kasell from National Public Radio. You’ve reached Kevin, Shelby, Theo, and Digory. Please let a message for Kevin, Shelby, or Theo. Don’t leave a message for Digory. He’s a dog, and every time he picks up the phone he accidentally dials 911.” 🙂

2. Tori July 8, 2011 at 11:06 am

Aww, I lost… But did you (winkwink) get the (winkwink) message behind the (winkwink) caption? 🙂

3. Melinda July 8, 2011 at 1:48 pm

Those were the two captions that made me laugh the hardest, too, so their winning the contest was well-deserved. 🙂 Good job, guys!

4. Mackenzi Lee July 8, 2011 at 2:30 pm

okay, so I was going to comment on this post, but I’m dumb and commented on your “why am i here” instead. so here goes again. pardon my idiocy. sometimes life is really weird, because just yesterday I was doing extensive research on the writing for children and young adults program at Vermont College and then the very next day my very favourite blogger says she’s doing it…..its always freaky when things like this happen! What do you think of the program? is it a good one ? Is it all off campus other than the residences? And also, have an awesome time

5. mmax13/Margaret!!! July 9, 2011 at 7:37 pm

You know what kinda sucks? That we (California Adventure/Disneyland) don’t get as many totally awesome things as Disneyworld (Florida). It makes me sad that while they are re-doing half of Fantasyland, adding separate ‘worlds’ for Princesses Belle, Ariel, Cinderella, and Auroa (Sleeping Beauty), we get a little new area called Cars Land. I mean, don’t get me wrong, Cars is a great Pixar film, and I bet the sequel is an OK one. But, come on. CARS? I know Disney thinks that Princesses are overrated and they are leaning towards a more ‘boys oriented’ image, but what about all the people who love the fashion models of Disney? I’m not saying Cars Land won’t be cool- we are getting a Test Track, which Florida does have- but They get a lot more..stuff, frankly. It mankes me the jealous teenagers that we all secretly are. This Cars Land better be cool or else CAA will sink lower on my awesome-list….
    Although, We did get the Little Mermaid ride first… so, there’s something.
    (Sorry for the Essay, I am just passionate/bored. )
    GREAT PICTURE!

• Shelby July 9, 2011 at 11:32 pm

Sorry Margaret, but I gotta kinda disagree here. For starters, Carsland is not little. It’s 12 acres and they demolished the rest of the parking lot to build it. Disneyworld’s Fantasyland expansion is just that–an expansion. Carsland is a whole new land. It’s like adding another Tomorrowland. It’s going to contain a number of attractions with very extensive theming. The reason why WDW gets so much more “stuff” than we do is because they have the space for it. They can just keep adding things. Disneyland has to be more judicious with their space. Doesn’t mean we’re hurting though. Disneyland itself has more attractions than any other single Disney park. Disneyland itself has 55 attractions while the Magic Kingdom at WDW has 33 (according to Disney websites). When Carsland is complete, the Disneyland Resort will have 90 attractions where all 4 parks of the WDW resort have 118 combined. So a difference of 28 attractions, which seems pretty small given that they have 4 parks and we have 2 (you would think with twice the number of parks they should have twice the number of attractions, but there’s a big difference between ours combined twice, 180 and the current 118).

So other than the math, I’m excited that Disney is doing something new. It’s not just that I think the princesses are overrated–I think they’re tired, and I’m glad we’re getting entirely different theming and new concepts. DCA certainly has its problems, but Carsland is not one of them ;).